Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Free Time



To do list:

Homework for four classes
Honors projects for three classes
Go to five classes
Go to work
Go to Phi Theta Kappa meeting
Take care of five dogs and five cats
Do volunteer work for CASA
Straighten up the house
Cook dinner
Take medicine for Addison’s disease
Gas up the car
Take a shower
Get some sleep
Do something creative

What? Do something creative? But I don’t have time! This is what my typical week looks like. My creative outlet is writing and I aspire to publish my first book within the next year. With all of the deadlines placed on me by others, why would I put an additional deadline on myself? Because everyone should make time to pursue their dreams and this is mine. This book is a story that needs to be told and I am inspired to tell it.

Some simple solutions I’ve found to this problem of having enough time for my writing involve some careful planning, preparing, and a little bit of luck. The cool thing about the art of writing is that you don’t need a lot of materials. In fact, the only thing I need is my little laptop. I take it to class anyway, so it’s with me when I’m on campus and when I’m at home. It’s inevitable that, at some point, a professor cancels class at the last minute, which, at a moment’s notice, frees up an hour and forty-five minutes until my next class starts. School is twenty minutes from my house and gas is nearly four dollars a gallon, so going home and then back to campus is not an option. But, since I have my laptop with me, I can find a quiet place on campus, get out my laptop, and visit my manuscript or my blog. 

I’ve made a habit of taking my laptop with me anywhere I go where I will probably have to wait, like my doctor’s office. With doctor’s appointments alone, I’m guaranteed at least an hour a month of free time. Free time…..everything’s better when it’s free, right? And free time to pursue my dream – fabulous!

So, what's your dream? I'd love to hear how you find time to pursue it! Leave your comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment